Self-Determination Project Update: March 2019
The initial 2,500 participants for the Self-Determination Program were selected by DDS in a lottery held 10/1/18 – locally we had 207 individuals selected in San Diego and Imperial Counties.
To find out if you were selected to participate, you may enter your UCI (Unique Client Identifier) number at SDP Verification.
If you were not selected in the initial lottery, your name is still on the list for possible selection in future lottery selections that will be conducted to fill any spots left by people who disenroll, move out of state, etc. We do not know when or how these additional lottery selections will be conducted yet, but will update this page once we have that information from DDS.
Individuals who were selected in the lottery will need to attend a mandatory orientation before starting the Self Determination Program. We will begin to offer these orientations beginning the end of April 2019/Early May 2019. Registration for orientations will be available on this webpage and will be posted by mid-April.
Person Centered Planning:
If you were selected as one of the first 2500 participants, you can start your Person Centered Planning process now! You do not have to wait until you have attended an orientation. DDS has put out information on how the initial PCP can be funded through a Purchase of Service (POS) with Regional Center or a purchase reimbursement. Read the Guidance from DDS
We are in the process of putting together a resource list of local agencies/entities that are able to assist with the Person Centered Planning Process. Please check back; this information will be posted soon. In the meantime, here are some other Person Centered Planning Resources:
Person-Centered Planning Resources
Publications and Online Resources
- “It’s My Choice” by Bill Allen, published by Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Minnesota – a workbook with tools for person-centered planning
- Person-Centered Planning: Pathways to Your Future – A toolkit for anyone interested in Person-Centered Planning, Sonoran University Center for Excellence in Disabilities, Department of Family & Community Medicine, University of Arizona – an overview of the person-centered planning process with tips for those in an individual’s circle of support
- Person Centered Planning Education by Cornell University Employment and Disability Institute – courses with readings, activities, resources, and quizzes
- Person Centered Planning from PACER’s National Parent Center on Transition and Employment – a brief summary of the planning process with additional links and resources
- Sally Burton-Hoyle’s presentation at the California Self-Determination Conference in 2014 – why person-centered planning is critical for Self-Determination, witness a person-centered plan, and other videos
- Sally Burton-Hoyle presentation for the Michigan Alliance for Families – a webinar that focuses on person-centered planning
- Video on Person-Centered Planning with Beth Mount – a visually creative take on person-centered planning
- Larry’s Story, His Person-Centered Plan – the story of an individual, in his own words, who has changed his life through person-centered planning
- 5 Key Principles of Person-Centered Planning: An Easy Read Guide – a plain language guide to the principles of person-centered planning
- Video on Person-Centered Planning produced by parents with adult children – Ed Holen and Sue Elliott introduce several planning tools and an interview with a parent and her daughter who discuss how planning tools are important to them
If you are interested in Self Determination and would like to be on the interest list for future participation, you will need to attend an information session. This informational session is intended for those who:
- Want to learn more basic information about Self Determination
- Have not previously attended an information session
- Are interested in being on the lottery selection list with DDS for possible participation in the next two years
These will continue to be offered approximately once per quarter. The next info session will be scheduled in July 2019. Please check back for the date/time/location and registration information.
Self Determination Project General Information:
1) Department of Developmental Services – Find information about the Self -Determination Program, including a video in a variety of languages, implementation updates, FAQs, and how the enrollment process will work.
Local Advisory Committee:
The San Diego Chapter usually meets once per month at 4355 Ruffin Road, San Diego, CA and are open to the public. The meeting agenda will be posted below prior to the meeting and will list the date, time and location. Meeting minutes are posted as they are approved. If you need translation please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours prior to the meeting and indicate what language you need.
The next meeting of the Local Advisory Committee is scheduled for Tuesday April 30, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at 4355 Ruffin Road, Suite 100/101, San Diego, CA 92123.
- April 30, 2019 – Agenda
- March 15, 2019 – Agenda
- December 6, 2018 – Agenda
- October 19, 2018 – Agenda
- September 28, 2018 – Agenda
- August 31, 2018 – Agenda
- July 20, 2018 – Agenda
- May 18, 2018 – Agenda
- April 13, 2018 – Agenda
- March 16, 2018 – Agenda
- January 19, 2018 – Agenda
- January 19, 2018 – Agenda (Spanish/Espanol)